Friday, April 13, 2012

surreal babies?! am i dreaming??


I just ordered this book and can't wait for its arrival!! Anyone who knows me well knows that I have an odd fascination with babies... and that coupled with my burgeoning interest in surrealism has me very much looking forward to learning more about this collection of kooky postcards from the 1920-30's.
^ I think this must have to be my favorite! haha! ^

Here's the description given on Amazon.com
Babies hatch from eggs, bubble from cauldrons, are fished from rivers, emerge in the cabbage patch, sit atop clouds, and ride in zeppelins. They play instruments, drive automobiles, fly in balloons, harvest the fields; an anarchistic world of baby heaven.

The postcards were a source of inspiration to many artists in the 1920s and '30s, in particular to both the Dadaists and the Surrealists. They were collected by Paul Éluard, André Breton, Salvador Dalí, Hannah Höch, Herbert Bayer, and Man Ray. The popular images excited inspiration in these artists because of their boundless inventiveness.

These remind me SO much of this Disney Silly Symphonie film from 1935!!

No comments:

Post a Comment