Wednesday, December 22, 2010

concrete cloth

A few months ago I came across the website for the UK-based company, Concrete Canvas, and naturally I was floored by what I found. The possibilities for this material are immense, and I am particularly drawn to it for the potential it holds for sculptural purposes.

The material has a range of civil engineering applications including ditch lining, erosion control, flooring and flood defenses. It's most well-known application is the company's "concrete canvas shelters," which are are rapidly deployable hardened shelters that require only water and air for construction. The website describes this fascinating material as easy to use, rapid, flexible, strong, durable, waterproof, and fireproof. If you ask me, it sounds too good to be true! I'm guessing it must be outrageously expensive...

But I really really REALLY want some!!! I have ideas of outdoor sculptures for which concrete cloth would be absolutely perfect! There's got to be a way I can make some of this material myself... somehow. I need big sheets of it... really big sheets. hmmmmm. See below how other folks are using concrete cloth for innovative purposes....


No comments:

Post a Comment