Sunday, December 26, 2010

visionary environments

Santa brought my mom the Outsider Art Source Book. I'm typically not as into folk art as she is, but I found the book to be quite interesting, particularly the section on "visionary environments." Here are some of my favorites...

Adolphe Julien Foure
Les Rochers Sculptes, Rotheneuf
Saint-Malo, Brittany, France


Richard Greaves
Anarhitecture
Quebec, Canada


Karl Junker
Junkerhaus
Lemgo, Germany


John Milkovisch
The Beercan House
Houston, Texas
, USA

Leonard Knight
Salvation Mountain
Niland, California, USA


I only just now remembered that my professor/adviser Mark Sloan (director and curator of the Halsey Institute of Contemporary Art) has co-written a book on this very subject, entitled Self-Made Worlds: Visionary Folk Art Environments. Perhaps I should try to get my hands on a copy!

No comments:

Post a Comment