Monday, February 27, 2012

tower of terror

fiberglass insulation, foam insulation, landscaping fabric, polyurethane, and hotglue
6' x 2' x 2'

So... this guy went up in flames last night. We're assuming it spontaneously combusted (there were some polyurethane soaked layers) because there appears to be no other reasonable explanation. My studio was/is an utter mess and the surrounding studios received a great deal of water damage. Thank goodness nobody was hurt... it could've been a lot worse.

I'm going to have to adjust my process and way of working with materials from here on out. I'm not sure what that's going to mean exactly, but I suppose I'm up for the challenge... as if I had a choice.


  1. oh a painter, i was always aware that solvent-soaked rags could do this if not allowed to dry properly, but never heard of spontaneous combustion actually happening to anyone. til now!
    at least no one was injured; too bad some art got destroyed but at least you have the sculpture documented in a photo.

  2. Oh, Lo-Mo! I'm so sorry to read this. Sending good thoughts your way for the clean-up!